EASTVILLE, MIDVILLE AND NEW LEAKE
GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES POLICY
Eastville, Midville and New Leake Group Parish Council recognises that
discrimination in the workplace, in any form, is unacceptable and, in most cases, is
also unlawful. We have therefore adopted an Equal Opportunities Policy, to ensure
that all job applicants and employees are treated fairly and without favour or
prejudice. We are committed to applying this policy throughout all areas of
employment, including recruitment and selection, training, development and
promotion. In all situations, people will be judged solely on merit or ability. The
following sets down the key points of the policy. Any breach of the policy will lead
to disciplinary action, which may include dismissal.
• Each and every employee has a duty to observe and apply the policy at all times.
• The policy will be implemented in accordance with the requirements of the
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 and
1986, the Race Relations Act 1976 and the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
• To ensure that we reach the widest cross-section of the community, all vacancies
will be advertised through the local papers and displayed on the notice boards
within the Parish.
• We will ensure that no job applicant or employee receives less favourable
treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin,
sex, marital statue, sexual orientation, disability, political opinion/affiliation, age
• Our application form will be as simple and straightforward as possible and we
will not ask for unnecessary information.
• Interview questions will be related to the requirements of the job and we will not
seek irrelevant qualifications. Applicants will be short-listed/selected solely on
the basis of capability. We will guarantee an interview to any disabled
candidate who meets the essential criteria of the post, in accordance with our
status as Disability Symbol Holder
• Each and every employee has an obligation to make a positive contribution
toward engendering an environment, of equal opportunity, throughout the
• The Grievance Procedure is available to any individual who believes that they
have been discriminated against and the company would urge those individuals
to pursue their rights, through this channel.
This Equal Opportunities Policy was adopted by the council at its meeting held on 4 April 2005 and
reviewed at a meeting held on 3 July 2006.