HISTORY OF EMNL VILLAGE HALL
It all began just 73 years ago.† On 6 May 1935 King George V celebrated the Silver Jubilee of his accession to the throne.† A committee of 15 men, representative of the parishes of Eastville, Midville and New Leake met to arrange the festivities to be held in the Village to mark the occasion. So successful was the outcome that these public-spirited men decided to continue to work for the welfare of the community.† On 23 May 1935 they agreed to seek for a suitable site for a Village Hall and to raise funds to erect one.
Forty years later in 1975 the present Village Hall was opened at a cost of £18,400.† Grants from the Government and Local Authorities would provide £13,500 and the remaining £4,900 had to be found from the Committee Fund.† An additional £400 was then required to meet more stringent fire precautions and eventually the hall was ready for use at a little short of £19000.
There is no doubt that this project was a genuine community effort.† The bulk of the funds were raised from events organized by the committee - garden fetes, bazaars, prize draws, bingo, dances and concerts† - a large proportion had been the result of generous donations from various bodies, notably the Youth Club and the Young Wives Association, plus various individuals too numerous to mention.† The teachers and pupils from local schools also played a notable part.